About the Position
The Finance Officer is a central figure in the institution and provides a comprehensive service to all staff and partners on financial policies and procedures. The Finance Officer's role is to support the core operations of Kwani Trust, act as a reference point on all financial matters and ensure Kwani Trust's legal compliance with relevant financial laws and regulations, in keeping with its vision, mission, goals and strategic objectives.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works in close collaboration with the Administrative Assistant and the Marketing, Sales and Distribution Departments. The position is part of a team that is building a viable publishing house that is commercially sustainable and that develops titles and products of world class literary quality. The Finance Officer will be expected to build systems and processes that make the Finance Department functional and effective, as well as developing, managing and implementing an overall Financial Manual and Administration plan.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide the lead in financial planning and budgeting for all projects and activities and carry out monthly reconciliation and management reports against projected budgets
- Ensure the smooth operation of our financial record keeping using PASTEL accounting software , regularly updating and auditing The Trust's financial records
- Process monthly expenses and expenditure as per relevant budgets
- Provide the lead in developing an internal finance manual informing the processes and systems in the administration of funds
- In partnership with the Sales and Distribution Officer, ensure the smooth issuance of sales invoices, purchase orders and collection of all due balances for Kwani? books
- Establish and maintain internal controls, checks and balances
- Ensure compliance with all internal and external Financial regulations
- Act as Secretary to, and coordinate the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees, ensuring timely quarterly reports are issued and advise the Board on the financial direction of the Trust
- Ensure timely financial reporting obligations to funding and other relevant partners are fulfilled
- Advise the Executive Director on all matters likely to have financial consequences, and promptly supply all information required
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Executive Director
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in Financial Planning, Budget Setting and Grant Reporting is crucial. Experience in an Arts, Literary or Publishing institution is an added advantage
- BCom in Accounting or Finance with an additional qualification of no less than CPA 2 Level ( section 4)
- Demonstrable, high numeric abilities, accuracy and an ability to show great attention to detail
- At least 3-5 years of progressively responsible relevant experience, some of which must have been spent using PASTEL accounting software
- Excellent written, oral communication and organisational skills with an added ability to deal with outside agencies in establishing effective working relationships
- IT proficiency, including use of Excel and other programmes critical to this function
How to Apply
- Applicants are invited to send a cover letter ( maximum one page) illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills together with a detailed CV, including names and addresses of three referees.
- All applications should be sent via email by 5pm, Friday November 19th 2010 to email@example.com indicating 'Application for Finance Officer Post' on the subject line. For any enquiries, please call: 020 444 1801
- The start date for this post is 1st February 2011. Interviews will take place during the week of 22nd November and 1st December 2010.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above minimum requirements will be contacted.